Friday, August 15, 2008

Favorite {Photo} Friday! #10

I'm working on a mini-album and so I've been scouring all my photos looking for what I want to include. When I came upon this one I laughed and knew it was today's Favorite {Photo} Friday!


We were in Salzburg, Austria in December 2006 for the Christmas markets--oh how I love European Christmas markets! We went into a little square because I saw booths set up, but it turned out it was all "antiques" and nothing I was interested in. Of course Jason was more than anxious to leave the square and get me as far away from purchasable junk as possible :), but I saw this silhouette and got an idea and made Jason play photographer. I made the photo (except me) black and white because the background was really distracting but I still like my red hair poking out under my hat. I really love how he posed me so that my feet match theirs! I also love photos that show my playful, silly side because that is usually Jason's role and I'm usually the one taking photos, so it's rare that I get this type of photo of me. :) I love it! :)

----------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mails and posted comments about my supermodel/transvestite rant post yesterday. :) Y'all are so sweet! I want to assure you that I--in no way--think that I'm fat. I was just amazed to have this smack-me-in-the-face realization yesterday. I saw this woman with the most beautiful body in a bikini on TV, and since I'm already packing for our little trip to the shore next week, I thought, "Ugh, I wish I looked that good in a bikini!" And then I found out that the beautiful woman in the bikini had been born a man. I thought she was a supermodel, but no, she just had a Y chromosome. Holy crap!

It makes me sad that the women who are supposedly the "beauty standard," who so many of us compare ourselves and our hips and love handles and our upper thighs to as we are trying on bikinis, look exactly like women who were born men. Hello?!?!?

It makes me sad that I can look back at a photo of myself from ten years ago and think, "Oh, I was so thin!" and know without a doubt in my mind that ten years ago I wanted to lose five pounds (it didn't help that ten years ago I lived in Vegas and at a size 6/8 I was 2-3 sizes bigger than most of my friends!). I know that I should either be happy with myself now or work to change it, but we all know that's easier said than done, right? [Sigh.] I'm working on it, really! :)

It also makes me sad that if I tell other women that I'd like to lose a little weight, the responses I get are almost entirely dependent upon the size of the woman I tell, whether or not they've had children, and their age. In other words, their response to me is based almost entirely upon their own battle with weight. The chance of my hearing a supportive comment is about 10-20%. Why don't we women support each other more?

Several years ago I'd heard so many discouraging comments that I decided I wouldn't utter them to another woman in the same situation. I want all my friends to be healthy! I want all my friends to feel great about themselves! If someone tells me they'd like to lose weight I try to say, "Oh, that's great! Being healthier is a great goal!" or "I think you look great but it's always good to make sure you're as healthy as possible," or "That's great! Is there anything I can do to help encourage your healthy habits?" or if I already think they are too thin I might say, "Why do you feel that way?"

Let's focus on the healthiness. I would like to be healthier. I would like to be stronger. I would like to be able to wear a bunch of clothes hanging in my closet that are just a little bit too tight right now. And let's just get down to it, shall we? I'd like to look really amazing naked.

----------------------------------------

Tonight we're going to see our friend Stephen's brother's band, Rome In a Day. They're headlining! Sweet!

This weekend:

I'm finishing a mini-book I've been working on to submit for Cynthia's Design Call. I really want to be a Leading Lady!

Also: I still really need to vacuum. I mean, really really really. No excuses!

A bunch of things hanging over my head and heart and To Do list are getting DONE. That's GONE with a D. For real.

I am collecting approximately ten times more books than I will actually be able to read in our four days at the shore. Yay! If you have any recommendations of fabulous books, please let me know ASAP.

Okay, I now have 13.4 minutes to get ready to go to the concert and that needs to include a shower. Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

5 comments:

Sooz said...

Well said, my friend! and I AM SO GUILTY OF THE "what do you MEAN you want/need to lose weight?!?! You are SKINNY" thoughts when i see someone I PERCEIVE to be "ideally weighted" (yeah, I know it isn't a word). So from now on...I will catch myself and use your phrases about desiring to be healthier/stronger/more fit and oh yeah...awesome-naked. : )

AND THAT IS A FAB PHOTO!! I am going to find one and POST NOW!!

runswithtrimmer said...

I wanna be awesome naked but mostly I just want to shop :D I'll admit it it's the only thing I am motivated by LOL.

I think your gorgeous Cameron what ever size you are.
Have a great weekend and if I don't "talk" to before I leave I'll "see" ya in a couple weeks:D

I love that photo too I love your red hair I am jealous!

Aimee said...

great insight on the weight thing- you are so right- we all put our own takes on our weight into this issue- Woman do supprt each other on this topic, i think, they just don't want anyone else to have the hurt associated with weight that they have.

anyhoo- i hope you got my skinny beeach comment- i was trying to imitate Kathy Griffin since you had referenced the D-list. May not have worked.

Healthy is so important- that is the line I use with my daughter all the time. i so know she will go down the same road I have and so many others have before me- she will always want to trim a few pounds-

oh, the weight of the world on our shoulders.

happy weekend and good luck with your healthy goals you fine lady.

Anonymous said...

I love love love your picture. Best!

Books: ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk (although his newest, Snuff, was not my favorite) or Irvine Welsh. I also really loved Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson, and a friend of mine just turned me on to Craig Clevenger. I loved the Contortionists Handbook and Dermaphoria, which I haven't read yet, is supposed to be better. I also enjoyed Kiss Me, Judas by Will christopher Baer. why are you asking for recomendations when you said you already had too many books to read. Eh, who can have too many!?!?

kellie said...

i remember this pic... and i STILL love it! :)

yes, you are right. being healthy is the main thing! i do admit to being self-critical though... but i have found as i'm getting stronger (crossfit baby!), that it is easier to just love me for me... and the rest takes care of itself.

and books... i'm a little late with these since you'll probably be already on your trip by the time you read this. oh well.

here are some books anyway:
The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine - if I haven't already told you that you should read this... you should read this! it is about the development of a female brain from infancy thru menopause. i had many "aha" moments while reading it.

What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love by Carole Radziwill (the journalist who was married to JFK jr's cousin) - the story of Carole's life after JFK jr & his wife died... then her husband died too. a VERY good tearjerker... 'nough said.

i am 99% sure that you have read this, but... Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert (if you haven't read this one already, i'll fall off my chair).

okay. that's all that comes to mind for now.